Saturday, July 16, 2016
GRE Cell and Molecular Biology Practice MCQs Test Paper
1. The primary action of steroid hormones is at the level of
(A) RNA export from the nucleus
(C) pre-mRNA splicing
(D) mRNA degradation
(E) gene rearrangement
2. The first metabolic intermediate that is common to the aerobic metabolism of glucose and fatty acids is
(A) acetyl CoA
(E) glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate
3. In an operon regulated only by attenuation, a mutation causing oversynthesis of the gene
products is most likely to be in the part of the DNA corresponding to the
(B) 3′terminal sequence of the RNA
(C) 5′terminal sequence of the RNA
(D) introns of the RNA
(E) coding sequence for the transactivator
4. Two protein sequences are compared by BLAST and produce an e value of e−100. This e value most
likely signifies which of the following about the genes encoding these two proteins?
(A) They function in the same tissue.
(B) They have unrelated functions.
(C) They are descended from a common ancestor.
(D) They are derived from related species.
(E) They encode proteins that form a dimeric complex.
5. Which of the following groups of enzymes are unique to the Calvin cycle?
(A) Ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase, phosphoribulokinase, and sedoheptulose 1,7-bisphosphatase
(B) Ribose 5-phosphate isomerase, epimerase, and aldolase
(C) Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase, phosphofructokinase, and phosphoenolpyru-vate carboxylase
(D) Phosphoglycolate phosphatase, glycerol kinase, and serine synthetase
(E) Sucrose synthase, hexokinase, and glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase
6. Which of the following best describes the hyperchromicity of DNA?
(A) The shift in UV absorbance to longer wavelengths upon denaturation
(B) The shift in UV absorbance to shorter wavelengths upon hydrolysis
(C) The shift in UV absorbance to longer wavelengths upon annealing (forming double strands)
(D) The increase in absorbance at 260 nm upon annealing
(E) The increase in absorbance at 260 nm upon denaturation
7. Isopentenyl pyrophosphate is a precursor of which of the following?
II. Farnesyl groups on proteins
III. Steroid hormones
(A) I only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III
8. Cytokinesis in animal cells is caused by
(A) the sliding movements of a band of
microtubules around the circumference of the cell
(B) the contraction of a band of actin filaments around the circumference of the cell
(C) the movement of the mitotic spindle fibers
(D) endocytosis of the plasma membrane around the equator of the cell
(E) fusion of cytoplasmic membrane vesicles at the equator of the cell
9. The synthesis of mRNA’s that encode the proteins of eukaryotic ribosomes occurs in the
(B) nuclear envelope
10. Which of the following is NOT a consequence of increased cellular levels of cAMP?
(A) Activation of a kinase cascade
(B) Activation of the transducin G-protein
(C) Increased phosphorylation of glycogen phosphorylase
(D) Inhibition of glycogen synthesis
(E) Dissociation of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase tetramer
Related Articles :
Follow by Email
Jobs Tests Syllabus
Past Exams Papers
MCQs Tests Preparation
CSS 2018 New Revised Compulsory Optional Subjects Syllabus FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION REVISED SCHEME OF CSS COMPETITIVE EXAMINATI...
ENGLISH Complete the sentences by choosing the most appropriate option, from the given choices (A to E) below each. 1. I en...
FPSC Advertisement no 1-2015 INSPECTOR INLAND REVENUES Jobs SEE NEW JOBS 2016 DETAILS HERE Case No/Job Title:F4-19/2015-R [ INSPECTOR INL...
1. The speed of light with the rise in the temperature of the medium (1) Increases (2) Decreases (3) Remains unaltered (4) Drops sharpl...
FPSC Advertisement No. 6/2015 for the following posts has been displayed on FPSC’s website. Intending candidates are advised to visit the w...
Summary 10 th Class Try Again Written by W.E.Hickson This beautiful little poem has been written by William Edward Hick son....
PPSC Advertisement No 18-2015 TMO Preparation MCQs General Knowledge Pak Studies,Islamic Studies,Everyday Science,Urdu,English,Math are a...
1. who was the first President of the Constitution Assebmly? (a) Liaquat Ali Khan ( b) Quaid-e-Azam (c) Moulvi Tameez-ud-Din (d) Sardar Abdu...
Pakistan Affairs Current Affairs 2016 MCQs Pakistan Affairs Current Affairs 201 7 MCQs, 1. Mohenjo Darro and Harrapa were discovered in ...