The populated area of Mailsi in ancient times was restricted to the banks of the river Sutlej and was inhabited by two ethnic groups namely Arain from Lahore and Khichhis from Bakaner, the earliest settlers of the town. They are still the most dominant segment of the town’s population. Vehari is a new district and is situated on the right bank of river Sutlej, in the heart of Nili Bar, the bluish tinge of the water of the Sutlej. The construction of Pakpattan Canal from Sulemanki Head Works on the Sutlej and the launching of Nili Bar colony project in 1925; considerably added to the population of the district. The ancient history of the area is not well recorded except for the fact that this riverine tract formed the state of Fatehpur during the time of the Mughal King, Akbar, the Great. It was ruled by Fateh Khan of Joya family who founded and gave his name to the town of Fatehpur. Fatehpur still exists at a distance of 15 Kilometers to the South of Mailsi. Some remains of archaeological value are found in this town.
Burewala derives its name from Chah Boreywala which was established prior to 1912. Burewala is an old Mandi and situated on Dehli Multan Road. River Sutluj crosses Burewala near Jamlera and Sahuka. Derbar of Dewan Chawli Mashaiekh is also situated in Dewan Sahib at a distance of 18 km from Burewala. In 1976, Burewala was upgraded as Sub Division. The areas of Gaggoo, Jamlera, Sahuka and Sheikh Fazal were included in Sub Division. Burewala textile Mill was established in the year 1954. It was sold to Dawood Group in the year 1957. The Tehsil Municipal Administration came into being on 14.8.2001.
- Masjid Shahjahan
Masjid Shahjahan is located in the center of the city and attracts people due to its architectural beauty and historical value.
Mailsi is known for a well built Syphon located at a distance of 10kms from Mailsi city. Since its construction, it has played a pivotal role in the agricultural produce of the area and has ensured adequate supply of water to far flung lands.