The District of Jhelum was establishedunder the British regime on 23rd March 1849. The Head quarter of the district was Pind DadanKhan. It consisted of Tehsils of P.D. Khan, Chakwal and Jabbi. In the same yeartehsil of Rohtas was also transferred to this district from Rawalpindi. In 1850 Jabbi Tehsil wasabolished and new Tehsil of Jhelum was constituted. In 1857 Talagang tehsil wastransferred to Campbellpur district. Thus at the time of independence thedistrict consisted of three tehsils Jhelum,Pind Dadan Khan and Chakwal. During the year 1985 Chakwal district was createdcomprising Chakwal Tehsil, Talagang Tehsil of Attock District & substantial partof Pind Dadan Khan Tehsil. Jhelum Tehsil was bifurcated in two parts by creatinga new Tehsil of Sohawa out of it with effect from July, 1985. In the year, 2003,the Tehsil Jhelum was once again bifurcated into parts by creating a new Tehsilnamely Dina, w.e.f. 30/10/2003. Now the District Jhelum consists of the following fourTehsils.
Total Area of the District