By far the best and most complete of all Gandhara ruins are those of the 7th century AD. Bushiest monastery, spectacularly placed on a rocky hill 15 km north-west of Mardan.
It was excavated (and stripped of statuary and friezes) from 1907 to 1913, and later reconstructed. From the top of the hill behind the monastery one can see down across the plains as far as Peshawar on one side, and up to the Malakand Pass and the hills of the Swat on the other Surrounding the monastery on the ridge above it to the south, and on the spurs to the east and west, are the ruins of private houses, some of which are three storey high.
Federal Archeology department is the administrative authority for the operation & maintenance of the old relics. It is also on UNESCO list and is a National Heritage.