The Gor Kharti is a large Mughal caravanserai at the top end of Sethi Street. The caravan serai was built on a spot that has been a holy place for nearly 2,000 years. In the 2nd century AD it was a Buddhism declined it became a Hindu shrine.
Gorkhatri is a typical Mughal-era serai and is located on one of the highest points of Peshawar city. It is a fortified compound consisting of an area of 160x160 square meters. It has two prominent gateways: one in the east and one in the west. The Gorakshanath temple is situated in the centre, a network of cells and buildings in the southern and western side of the complex and a fire brigade building, which was built in 1917.
Dr. Farzand Ali Durrani initiated the first vertical excavations at Gor Guthrree in 1992-93 but his excavation work could not be completed due to lack of funds. However, he confirmed the city foundation went back to at least the 3rd Century BC.