Charsadda was once part of the kingdom of Gandhara,however around 516 BC Gandhara became part of the seventh satrapy orprovince of the Achaemenid Empire and paid tribute to Darius the Great of Persia, until itsoverthrow by Alexander the Great in the 4th century BC.
After the death of Alexander in 323 BC the Indian Emperor Chandragupta Maurya rose to power and broughtGandhara under his sway. According to a popular tradition, Emperor Ashoka built one ofhis stupas there. This stupa was mentioned by the famous Chinese Buddhistpilgrim HieunTsang, who visited in 630, according to him Po-Lu-Sha (as he called thestupa) was 2.5 miles (4.0 km) in circumference.
A Brahminical temple to the east and a monastery to the north whichaccording to Buddhist legends was the place where Buddha preached the Law. Thename Gandhara disappeared after Mahmudof Ghazni conquered the area and converted it to Islam in 1026
he district is administratively subdivided into two tehsils whichcontained a total of 46 Union Councils:
Name of Tehsil
No. of Unions
| || |